Nov. 28,
It was nice to see the boys after our break.
Today we started out with a VTS of the painting below
I did the VTS and found it difficult to remember the exact questions to ask even though they are so easy. I did ask the boys to say their name first since I still need help remembering all of them and so that we can identify who is speaking in the video. The boys were again, eager and ready right away to give their observations and did so with respect and by taking their turns. The first observation focused on the top center figure on top the hill and it seemed like the next few called were stuck on that specific area of the painting. I was surprised that they were looking at that detail and choosing that small area of focus when there was so much more going on down below. It took a while to get some comments on the bigger action going on with the horses and knights. I also realized that I was wanting the boys to be more descriptive in their observations, yet I forgot to ask, "what more can we find?" After thinking about it I noticed that since they are all so eager to answer waiting with their hands up that I just moved on to the next boy without asking that question. I wonder what VTS says about adding other questions that are similar yet not exactly that? I think I said, "what else or more do you see?" and I wonder if a question such as "what adjectives can you use to describe what you see" is ok or not? I feel like I could have paraphrased better and that I could have used, "what makes you say that", more often. I need more practice if I am to be as smooth and competent as my fearless mentor miss Mary.
After the VTS Mary did a proper introduction to our unit on Knights and showed a powerpoint on the history and some facts of Knights and their code. Mr. Tilley asked the boys if they remembered what the Samurai code was and Mary asked them how they were similar. I think this was a good way to bridge the two and to create a connection with association.
The boys then sat down with their journals and worked on ideas and sketches for two more cards. Mary had read about Pages and Squires and then the boys created each of their own, with the same kind of information as their knights. I am starting to notice those boys that have no trouble jumping in and getting their drawing down and most of the info within a few minutes and those boys that need more time and discussion to help generate ideas and visions before they begin. Talking it out and parroting is good, but I also think having more visuals aids such as books or extra photos we can project might be helpful as well.





No comments:
Post a Comment